E-Extension is a tool with distinct advantages. It allows us to overcome the current limitations regarding frontal extension and it will enable us to give the trainees a bigger variety of professional approaches and different experts. We also apply E-Extension as a complementary tool for frontal training which will allow us to maintain continuous professional connection with trainees in the future.
I wanted to extend our gratitude on a great work Farmentor conducted during this unusual period. I believe our collaboration will continue and will be able to host Farmentor consultants in Georgia shortly.Luisa, Georgia
With that being said, E-Extension comes with notable challenges while used for agricultural extension methods. Our typical participants are adults who will be asked to quickly adapt and use technological platforms and to interact using a foreign language. Moreover, in order to acquire the complete skill set, additional training on the field will be required once possible again.
We recommend that the training will take place in groups of up to 20 people in order to allow maximum personal attention and follow-up for each participant. Furthermore, the group will be divided into smaller classes of up to 5 participants in each class, based on fields of interest and geographical location.
We recommend that the training will be divided into modules by subjects. Each module length will be 4 weeks and it will be based on the following components:
- A weekly virtual meeting with all the participants. The goal of the meeting is acquaintance, personal sharing and training of theoretical knowledge. Each meeting will be 45-60 minutes long, a total of 4 meetings.
- Each group will be assigned with a guided task to execute. The tasks will be selected and tailored to the professional subject of each group. The participants will be guided by our experts via email and other means of delivery. In case of English language difficulties from the participants end, it is preferable to find a translator in order to allow them to express themselves in the local language.
- A weekly virtual meeting in the framework of the smaller groups. Those meetings will be dedicated to discussions about the results and questions arising from the practical assignments as well as deepening the theoretical knowledge learned in the bigger group. Each meeting will be 45-60 minutes long, a total of 4 meetings for each group and 20 meetings for a module.
- To conclude a module there will be a virtual meeting with all the participants focusing on conclusions and feedback. A total of 1 meeting, 45 minutes long.
Tailored Solution, Flexible Course Structure
E-Extension can be spread in different fashions in regard to the order of the modules:
- Single module for a four-week period. Once one module is concluded the next one begins.
- Two modules learned simultaneously on the same day with a short break between the different meetings.
- Two modules learned simultaneously in the same week but on different days.
Our courses are suitable for the study of trainees, scattered in different places as well as group learning with a local expert.
The proposed program framework can be fully or partially implemented for the benefit of remote training of various agricultural professional subjects.For example, a training on: Recycled water use for agriculture can include the topics:
- Recycled water resources management
- Recycled water characteristics, Soil-Water-Plant relationships
- Management & maintenance of irrigation equipment utilizing recycled water
- Advantages of modern irrigation technologies
- Increasing WUE (Water Use Efficiency)
- Components of Modern irrigation systems
- Monitoring and Control as tools for enhancing farming performance
As a continuation of the training, we recommend a final project that will include real project planning (new or upgrading an existing one). Self-study by the participants (possible in groups) with remote guidance.
Note: the above topics learning is based on previous knowledge of Soil & Water and irrigation issues. We also offer basic level training programs.
The list of areas of expertise can be found here.